How To Get Your Driving License in Wuxi
Many years ago, we expats could bring a “translator” to our driving test in Wuxi. The “translator”, of course, didn’t translate anything and just answered the questions on the computer test for us. Now we have to do it ourselves. Here is your guide to getting it done.
You will need:
- A valid driving license from your home country (驾驶照, jià shǐ zhào)
- A photocopy of your driving license (both sides) （驾驶照复印本, jià shǐ zhào fù yìn běn）
- A residence permit visa (you cannot get a driving license without a residence permit-style visa – these can be for visiting family, working, etc. It must be a residence permit, it cannot be an F visa, an L visa or any other) （居留许可证, jū liú xǔ kě zhèng）
- 2 temporary residence forms （住宿登记，两份, zhù sù dēng jì）
- To get these, you’ll need a photocopy of your passport’s ID page （护照复印本, hù zhào fù yìn běn）, your current visa （居留许可证复印本, jū liú xǔ kě zhèng fù yìn běn）, and a stamp of your last entry （上次入境复印本, shàng cì rù jìng fù yìn běn）
Step 1: Get 2 temporary residence forms （住宿登记 zhù sù dēng jì）
- Go to your local police station （派出所, pài chū suǒ）and get your temporary residence form （住宿登记, zhù sù dēng jì）. As mentioned above, you’ll need a photocopy of your passport’s ID page, your current visa, and a stamp of your last entry. Get 2 of them.
- If you own the property you live in, bring a photocopy of the property deed. （房产证, fáng chǎn zhèng）
- If you rent the property you live in, bring a photocopy of the lease. （房租合同, fáng zū hé tong）
Step 2: Get your Jingwai Renyuan Shenhe Zhengming (境外人员审核证明lián xì kǎ, jìng wài rén yuán shěn hé zhèng míng） from the Public Security Bureau （公安局，崇宁路, gōng ān jú）
- Go to the Public Security Bureau in downtown Wuxi on Chongning Rd. The place that handles your visas.
- With your temporary residence forms and your passport, ask for a (境外人员审核证明）or just tell them that you want to get a driving license （驾驶照 jià shǐ zhào）.
- They will give you the piece of paper and might take away one of your temporary residence forms.
- It looks like this:
Step 3: Get your driving license translated into Chinese.
- The traffic control department says that you must have your driving license translated into Chinese by their preferred agency. Go to this agency (it is not close to the traffic control department). 无锡涉外翻译事务所 Their address is: 无锡市对外友好服务中心，无锡市青祁路318号1楼大厅，青祁路与建筑路交叉口. It costs 100 yuan. Their phone number: 0510-85120368
Step 4: Take your documents to the traffic control department of the PSB （无锡车管所 – 湖南大道上, wú xī chē guǎn suǒ）. Get your vision checked, your photo taken, and show them all of your documents.
- Take all of your documents to the front desk of traffic control department. If your documentation is complete, they’ll have you get your vision checked in another building in the compound.
- After your vision has been checked and your photos taken, the front desk at the traffic control department will give you a number to get your test card.
- Once you have your test card, you are now eligible to take the computer test.
Step 5: Cram for the computer-based test
- To pass the test, you must get 90 out of 100 correct. The total test bank has 1500 questions, all multiple-choice or true-false.
- Download this test bank.
- Download this test bank.
- Read this for Mark Griffith’s excellent hand-signal chart.
- There is no official guide for learning these rules, but you can use
the test banks listed above. Unfortunately this test bank is somewhat out of date, and will cover about 80 to 90% of the questions that appear on the test. Even if you have it memorized, you will have to guess on a number of questions. Sound illogical? Welcome to China!
- The test is available in many languages, English being the most popular for expats.
Step 6: Pass the computer test
- As of the date of this publishing, computer-based testing for foreigners is every Tuesday and Friday; both mornings and afternoons. You can take the test twice every test date until you score at least 90. You may be able to take it a third time in a single sitting if you persuade the test manager.
- There is no cost for taking the test. You are only charged 100 yuan for your driving license after you pass the computer test.
- You get your driving license immediately after passing your test on the first floor of the traffic management bureau. It is valid for 6 years.
- You must pass the computer test before your foreign driving license expires.
Step 7: Celebrate! (or repeat Steps 5 and 6)